Linggo, Agosto 16, 2015

Norwegian Wood

I've read some reviews first before reading Norwegian Wood. I never thought I'll ever read it. I hate PDFs. I don't want to buy the book like I did with Kafka on the Shore. I thought 'maybe I'll buy it', so I read some reviews just to know if it's worth buying unlike Kafka (I regret buying Kafka). I noticed something while reading the reviews: most of people who liked Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle hates Norwegian Wood and Sputnik Sweetheart. I thought maybe they are more into the fantasy stuff, since Kafka is so Fantasy for me. I'm not into that genre, to be honest. I like realistic, tragic and melancholic things. So I thought I'll read this book, even in PDF.
The first pages actually got me. I might be that kind of person that can be moved to tears easily, but it really got me. The narrator is Toru Watanabe, telling his story back when he was in his 20s. Toru is a jerk. Literally. A wanker, that is. But I really find the story most sincere among his works I've already read. For me, it's the most realistic so far. I've read bad reviews about it. I agree that most of the male characters are wankers trying to be cool, and the girls are quite needy and desperate. But that's what makes it realistic for me. Our country is not really that sexually liberated and many people here still value virginity, but believe it or not, there are needy, depressed girls in real world.Anywhere. There are wanker, assholes boys who thinks girls are just sex toys who doesn't even need to be named. And those people have reasons. Maybe stupid reasons, but still, they have. I believe I knew someone like Nagasawa- he likes sex, thinks he's smart and mighty, logical and working hard to get what he wants, that's why I find him very realistic and unlikable. The way he hurt Hatsumi is very realistic too. And not everyone in the novel needs to be liked. You can even hate them. But Murakami has his way with words. I read almost half of the book for months because I can't stand reading in PDF, after a few months, our school library got a copy of the book so I borrowed it right away (apparently, they collect Murakami's novels). So I continue to read.
Naoko is clearly a depressed person. It might be hereditary, but she's obviously depressed over Kizuki's death. And Toru raped her without even knowing what he has done. I might say that Nagasawa effectively influenced him, but he already slept with his ex-girlfriend back in highschool, so it's no excuse- he's a pervert. He knows Naoko doesn't love him, that she still loves Kizuki, but he still forced his self on her. Even though she did some sexual favors for him back in the asylum, I still think that a part of her doesn't want to forget about Kizuki. But she tried to pretend to have plans with Toru. But in the end, she proved that she was violated, and I felt like she hates Toru, or doesn't feel anything for him. Meanwhile Toru, who decided that he loves Midori, though he's not sure enough, feels sorry and still loves Naoko. That was the part where I felt sorry and mad at him. He's stupid for saying that he loves Midori, while it's also the most perfect decision. The other characters I also feel sorry for is Reiko and Hatsumi. Hatsumi is such a stupid girl, falling inlove with Nagasawa. And what's more stupid is that she remained with him though she knows he doesn't want any commitment. I think Nagasawa doesn't realize that he needs someone like Hatsumi yet, but even after she died, it felt like he's still an asshole not realizing anything. He's the kind of person who realizes something after it's too late. About Reiko, as I read her back-story, it's quite suspenseful. She lost everything she had just because of a single person. And she can't take it back.
After Naoko died, I also really felt sorry for Toru. His travel reminded me of Takemoto from Honey and Clover, but in the end, he's still empty (Takemoto, on the other hand, just felt lonely, but quite fulfilled). I felt sorry he fell inlove with Naoko. That he declared love for Midori. That he felt empty and lost.
What I really liked is that he just traveled without direction, without knowing where he was, without anything in mind but his grief. I can even relate to him sometimes, the way he want to choke the fisherman just because he's telling him about his dead mother. I feel that way sometimes, like, when I have a problem and want to talk about it or just be quiet with a person, then he'll start talking about himself without thinking how I feel. But I also do that sometimes to others, so I realize I'm also wrong, then my anger will be gone.

That book really made me more frustrated and sad, but I like it. I like it very much. I felt better after finishing it. Good thing Naoko was gone, her body, her beauty and misery all became ashes that left Toru in despair. It reminded me of a line from Ando Yuko's song, Wasuremono no Mori

"The footprints that you left scattered
Are even now
Nothing
And I, who am left alone
Right now, am a rootless person"

In the end, the dead will remain dead. But the living needs to keep on living in the shadows of misery and despair of losing someone.
I liked that he can't reach out to Midori (I don't hate Midori, but I don't feel like I like her so much, but I also feel a little sorry for her). I like that he's alone in the crowd in the end, but also feel sorry for him I almost cried.
To sum it all, the book is really erotic and gives this somewhat lonely feeling. Like most of Murakami's books. I also felt like it's his autobiography, and I'm glad to know it's not. I hate to know someone as depressed as Toru.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento